Key program elements include:
- Onsite walk-through and needs assessment (CQA) to identify areas for strengthening instruction in reading comprehension and literacy
- Customized three-year achievement plan that sets benchmarks for student
and teacher success
- 2-5 professional development days per year
- 6-8 coaching days per year, plus unlimited phone and email consultation
- Real-time data analysis through Catapult’s MyDataFirst, data platform,
that assists with recognizing student achievement and forming flexible skill
- Training materials, including grade-band and content-specific Teaching
Resource Manuals and professional resource books by reading experts
and educational thought leaders
- Multiple box-sets of Phonics, Phonological Awareness, and/or
Reading Comprehension materials including lessons, center activities,
readers, and other manipulatives to use directly with students
Literacy First provided the strong instructional framework that has led our district from one that was “On Watch” to one that is one TO watch. It has been a vital piece of our school improvement solution.
Teresa Tosh, Assistant Superintendent in Haysville, KS
Your School or District Can be the Next Literacy First Success Story
Literacy First has closed the achievement gap in more than 800 schools in over 20 states. Schools using the program typically have over 75% economically disadvantaged students and, frequently, more than 35% are English language learners.
Click on the image to see the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation’s study on Literacy First.