Literacy First™ is a phased, three-year professional development program that builds an understanding of the role literacy plays in academic achievement and reinforces the skills needed to address student performance challenges in reading comprehension and the content areas. The program includes a data-driven, instructional framework based on the five essential components for reading instruction that serves as the basis for building leader and instructor capacity, driving academic achievement and creating sustainability by modeling best instructional practices and giving teachers strategies and the tools they need for successful instruction. Consultants develop and maintain strong relationships with teachers and administrators within each school to build instructional knowledge and skills, facilitate program implementation and foster lasting culture change district wide.
Key program elements include:
- Onsite walk-through and needs assessment (CQA) to identify areas for strengthening instruction in reading comprehension and literacy
- Customized three-year achievement plan that sets benchmarks for student and teacher success
- 2-5 professional development days per year
- 6-8 coaching days per year, plus unlimited phone and email consultation
- Real-time data analysis through Catapult’s MyDataFirst, data platform, that assists with recognizing student achievement and forming flexible skill groups
- Training materials, including grade-band and content-specific Teaching Resource Manuals and professional resource books by reading experts and educational thought leaders
- Multiple box-sets of Phonics, Phonological Awareness, and/or Reading Comprehension materials including lessons, center activities, readers, and other manipulatives to use directly with students
Literacy First provided the strong instructional framework that has led our district from one that was “On Watch” to one that is one TO watch. It has been a vital piece of our school improvement solution.
Teresa Tosh, Assistant Superintendent in Haysville, KS
Your School or District Can be the Next Literacy First Success Story
Literacy First has closed the achievement gap in more than 800 schools in over 20 states. Schools using the program typically have over 75% economically disadvantaged students and, frequently, more than 35% are English language learners.
Click on the image to see the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation’s study on Literacy First.